Author Topic: Getting ready for the 2018 dive season  (Read 265 times)

Divemaster Earl

• OE Staff
  • Valued Customer
  • Underwater all my troubles seem so far away...
Getting ready for the 2018 dive season
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »
So it's almost March and I already have the "Diving Itch". Do you?

If so then remember a few things to do before the Diving season gets underway.

Let's make sure to have ALL your gear serviced. All to often divers seem to overlook this by thinking I didn't use it much last year. Remember folks that O Rings, Batteries and hoses have a habit of failing at the worst time and  need replacing.  It's always reassuring to know that your gear is it top condition.
  So remember to take care of your gear and it will take care of you.
  Let's not forget about our wetsuits/drysuits...Are your seals good?  Does your zipper work? (try to contain yourselves please) Have your boots seen a better day? 
   Just a few things to think about. 
 Also..what about YOU?  Winter is a time for hibernation for some ( myself included) and time to start getting fit for diving.
  So My hope is that we all have a GREAT,SAFE diving season.

Instructor Jay

• OE Instructor
  • Valued Customer
  • In life, the road may fork... So drive carefully.
Re: Getting ready for the 2018 dive season
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
Why doesn't this site have a "Like" button?!?!  Well said, Earl. 

Here's a little more detail, as a reminder:
- Regulators need to be serviced annually in order to maintain their safety and, in many cases, their manufacturer's warranty.  Remember that if you have an Air2 on your BCD, it's a regulator also.
- If your dive computer has been sleeping all winter, turn it on and confirm that it powers up, the battery test passes, and that it properly registers 'zero feet' of depth.  When I know that it's been 3-4 years since my last battery service, I bring it in to the shop, just so it doesn't fail on me during a dive trip.
- Tanks need to be visually inspected every year.  Check the visual inspection sticker to find out when it was last inspected.  The same is true for all tanks (including stage bottles).  Tanks also require hydrostatic testing every five years.  Look for an embossed stamp on the shoulder of the tank for the year of the tank's last hydro test.  Jim doesn't do hydro's at the shop, so the tanks do have to be sent to another facility for these tests (so get them to the shop early).
- Your BCD doesn't require annual maintenance per se, but it's a good idea to fill it orally and make sure that it holds air.  Often a leaky BCD is an easy fix (e.g. a stuck vent, or a mis-threaded low-pressure inflator), but it's better to address it before you're on that dive boat.

I hope this helps you get your gear ready for the dive season!  Looking forward to diving with you!

Jay
If anyone finds a Sea & Sea DX2000 digital camera floating in the ocean somewhere, I was young and needed the money.